Protests intensify as police fail to trace kidnapped girl

FARIDKOT: Three days after a minor girl was kidnapped in broad daylight by a seven-member armed gang from her home here, police are still groping in the dark for clues, triggering a wave of protests from students, traders and NGOs.
Members of different social organizations, NGOs and students on Thursday sat on a dharna in front of the police station here and demanded immediate arrest of the main accused Nishan Singh, 20, and his accomplices. They have called for a bandh on Friday as a protest against police inaction.
College students in the city have also joined the protests. On Thursday morning, people from different walks of life joined a protest march organised by an action committee, formed to seek justice for the victim's family. The protesters also held a candle-light march in the city.
"Some prominent NGOs like National Youth Club, Sewa Bharti and Swarnkar Mandal Organization, Shoe Makers' Association and Arhtiya Association have joined the protest," said Tarun Grover, member of the action committee.
Meanwhile, police had announced a reward of Rs 1 lakh for giving any information about Nishan Singh's whereabouts. "We are pursuing the case professionally. We have got some clues and raids are being conducted," said Faridkot SSP Gurinder Singh Dhillon.
The 15-year-old girl, a class X student of a convent school in Faridkot, was abducted from Dogar Basti area. It was the second time that a girl was kidnapped by the same gang. According to police, Nishan, a resident of Harendra Nagar, and his friends, armed with guns and iron rods, barged into the girl's house on Monday afternoon and assaulted her parents and sister before fleeing with her. Her father, a businessman, and mother, an LIC employee, are still in hospital.
Eyewitnesses said Nishan carried the girl on his shoulders for about 200 metres before dumping her in his car and fled. He fired two rounds in the air and threatened residents of the area before escaping.
On March 25, 2012, he had kidnapped another girl from the area. Following a complaint, police had registered a case and the victim was traced from a house at Kharar in Mohali on August 10. After medical examination, police had slapped rape charges on Nishan. However, he had given police a slip and was absconding since then, police said.


Popular posts from this blog

Educated in SevaBharati hostel; the first doctor of Attappadi Tribal Village

All NGOs should take the lead of Sewabharati and adopt a Govt School: SDM

Sevabharathi Kollam in relief work, Help desk for assistance.